Stay motivated despite all troubles!
2016 Olympic gold and silver medalist Madison Kocian comments on staying motivated after shoulder surgery, the prospect of returning to competition and the new training partnership between her former WOGA coach Laurent Landi and her 2016 Olympic teammate Simone Biles.
The 20-year-old-Kocian, who enjoyed a successful freshman season at UCLA in 2016-17, underwent surgery in August to repair a torn labrum. She is in the process of rehabilitation ahead of the NCAA competition season that begins in January. In this IG Online update, Kocian shares her thoughts on her surgery, recovery and the fresh Landi-Biles partnership.
- How successful do you feel your shoulder surgery was, in terms of completely fixing the problem and fortifying you for the upcoming seasons?
- My surgery went very well. My surgeon was pleased with the outcome of the surgery, and so far I'm feeling great. It was the right decision for me since my pain was continuously increasing after pushing through the injury for so long.
- With the 2018 season starting in a couple of months, when do you think you'll ready to compete, and on which events?
- Right now, I'm taking it day-by-day but my timetable for a comeback can't be determined. I'm working hard on my rehab plan with my therapists and surgeon, but we also have to be patient with the healing process so that I don't risk damaging the repairs.
- How are you staying motivated, knowing you need to take the necessary steps and time to heal, while your teammates are busy honing their routines for the new season?
- I keep the motivation by reminding myself of my goals every morning. Some days are definitely harder than others, but I stay positive and trust the process. I'm doing everything in my control to help my shoulder heal, and in the meantime, I'm finding new ways I can help my teammates work towards our goal. I'm super excited to be back on the competition floor with my Bruins soon!
- You have a unique perspective on Laurent's coaching attributes since he was your personal coach at WOGA. What do you feel were his greatest strengths and skills in helping you reach your potential?
- I'm very excited for Laurent, Cécile and Simone. Laurent and Cécile changed my life, and I couldn't have achieved my dreams without them. Laurent knew when to push harder on the tough days, but also when to back off so that I wouldn't break. He was very smart in devising training plans in order for me to peak at the right time, and I believe that is what allowed me to reach my potential.
- Having trained under Laurent, and knowing Simone well, what do you believe he can do to improve Simone's gymnastics at this point in her career?
- I know it will be an adjustment and learning experience for all of them at the beginning, but I'm confident he can help Simone achieve the goals she puts forward.
09 Jun 2015 at 07:00
17 Nov 2014 at 07:00
24 Feb 2017 at 19:15
Like it? Tell your friends